May 18, 2013

I Loooovveee Gold...

Remember when Goldmember from the third Austin Powers movie would say, "I looooovvvee gold"! I love saying that..."I loooovveee gold"!

A couple of weekends ago I came up with this cute idea of making magnets out of gold spray painted plastic animals. On other blogs I've seen others paint plastic animals and using them as party decor or as party favors. I think they look real cute and what a creative and inexpensive way to add some interesting detail. I liked the idea so much that I decided to make mine into magnets.

Remember the terranium project I did with my kids several weekends back, well I took the left over plastic animals that I bought and decided to use those for my magnet project.



I took some gold satin spray paint that I had leftover from another project to use on my plastic animals. You can use any kind of metal paint. 


I placed the animals on a paper plate to spray paint on as well as a large shopping bag to protect my outside patio table.


Here are all the little animals swimming in a sea of gold


As you can see from the picture above I had to spray paint about 3 coats on certain animals because the color of the plastic was still showing through.

Once they were all dried see how pretty they turned out!


I then went to Michael's and bought these magnets for $1.59. I glued one magnet on the side of the animal that I was going to stick to the magnetic surface.




And voila! Look how pretty my magnets turned out! I'm using them here to hold up a picture of me and my husband in my work cubicle.


I love how the seahorse turned out...that's my favorite one :-)

Have a great night everyone! xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment